Pursuing your dreams can have its challenges and sometimes be very emotional. However, it’s important to stay focused on your goals and put your mind on the positive to fuel your drive to achieve. Guard your thoughts and emotions by intentionally taking action to keep your spirits high. In my office, we have a saying, “If anything can go well, it will!” Expect good things to happen for you and you’ll see that more good will come your way! Below are five quick ways to help you the next time you’re feeling down and out. Dig yourself out of the dumps with these proven strategies to a happier life.
1. Meditate 15 to 20 minutes every day. Meditation can be a life-changing force in your life. The act of solitude can solve many problems. For example, when I was going through a rough divorce in my 30’s, I would rise early and escape to my sweet spot where I just cleanse my mind of negative thoughts and visualize a happy future.
2. Guard what you listen to.Surround yourself with positive people, have positive conversations and take a break from negative news. To protect your positive mind and atmosphere, refuse to say, hear or agree with any negative words, especially about your life, day or personal economy.
Instead, flip the switch and replace all negative expressions with positive ones. Say statements that create joy in your life. I challenged my clients to take a positivity challenge. For 30 days, speak positive about every situation. They used my personal positivity calendar to chart their progress. You can create your own by recording at least one positive thing that happens each day for 30 days. This challenge will shift your perspective and help you keep a watch on your words while charting a path to a much happier life.
3. Use goal cards. If you focus on what’s possible, your passion to accomplish goals will increase dramatically. Goal cards make this process very simple. Studies show people who review and visualize their written goals are more apt to manifest what they see. There’s no better feeling of happiness than to achieve something that you really desire in your life.
4. Eat energy-producing foods. Eat lots of proteins and greens and drink water daily. When you feel healthy and alert, your confidence level goes up and makes you a much happier person.
Unhealthy eating and a sedentary lifestyle can have a negative affect on your mood. When you upgrade your body image by eating better and working out, you will immediately begin to upgrade your outlook and feel better about yourself.
5. Surround yourself with things that give you a happy outlook.Pictures of fond family memories, artwork, quotes, a happy screensaver on your computer or even fresh flowers. Often, I have my clients create happiness sticky notes where they write messages to affirm their goals, or simple words of encouragement like, “You can do it!” “You’re loved!” “You’re beautiful!” I tell them to post it to their computer, stick it on a desk or vision board so they can see it often.
Hold on to happiness
Visualize yourself being happy. Imagine it. See it in your mind’s eye. Hold the image of happiness on the canvas of your imagination. Happiness is a decision. Like Aristotle said, “Happiness depends on ourselves.”
Take 10 minutes each morning to see yourself in a happy situation.
Gratitude is a big key to happiness. When you can be grateful daily for the small things as well as the big things, like the sunshine, a good mind, the ability to think and your morning coffee, it allows you to be optimistic. It also enables you to attract more happy outcomes.
Look for something to be happy about
Keep a happiness journal to count and record your daily blessings. Write down at least 10 things you are happy about. It could be simple things like finishing the laundry or completing your workout routine. What you focus on, you will attract more of, so keep your thoughts fixated on the bright side, look for all the happiness that surrounds you and soon you’ll be drawing an abundance of happy moments in your life!