Think back to when the two of you were dating one another. Did you have times when you had nothing to say to one another? Probably not.
When a couple reaches the point of not having anything to say to one another, their marriage is in serious trouble. Here are some tips on why conversation in a marriage is so essential, and topics to talk about.
Andre Maurois, French novelist and essayist, wrote, “A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short.”
Most folks don’t marry someone they can’t talk with. A good conversation is when you are both contributing to the conversation. When you are having a good conversation with your spouse, you are both giving each other your undivided attention.
Conversation Fills Many Needs:
- To be connected to another.
- To have your feelings and thoughts heard and respected.
- To learn new things.
- To sort through issues and problems.
- To discuss and explore solutions.
- To reach an understanding of one another.
What to Talk About:
\Here are a few ideas.
- Your spouse’s hobbies or other interests.
- Plans for a future trip together.
- Memories of your childhoods.
- Movies or television shows.
- Things you would like to experience or places you would like to visit.
- Something you learned during the day or something you did differently or new that day.
- Discuss your thoughts and feelings about the day.
- Share a few things that made your happy during the day or that you are thankful for that day.
- Ask some questions that begin with “if you could”, or “Have you ever”, or “do you believe.”
Although the news, weather, kids, jobs, money, household chores,health issues, in-laws, friends, etc. are all important topics that the two of you really have to talk about, try not to let them be the main focus of your conversations with each other.